Recently a new car entered the garage, a 1984 Porsche 944 with a lot of loose ends to tidy up. Before even being able to assess the car it needed a few things to even make it road worthy, number one on that list was to seal the cabin from excess fumes. The 944 like […]
The Funny Fork future involves public testing including data collection with hope for scientific testing to parallel ‘seat of the pants’ rider feedback. Data collection will be visual from action cameras, digital in the form of GPS, rotational, linear movement and pressure sensors, as well as of course rider feedback. I expect to take […]
The Funny Fork project started as the simple desire to understand the handling characteristics of suspensions systems which were non telescopic in nature. Having few modern interpretations of linkage suspension systems available to test and tinker, I set about creating one. My goal was a prototype which would allow for a variety of setup options […]
After years of watching my brother shred and several more years talking about what a carbon board would feel like it’s time to build one. Carbon boards exist, they are expensive, stiff, durable, and maybe even good, but we want a project and I would love to see how skills react to layups of known specification. […]
For years I managed to outsource rapid prototyping but as costs decreased and material properties improved it became reasonable to bring some work in house. The first printer I ran was at Three R Plastics and was a Taz 5 without an enclosure. The ambient temperature swings of an efficient office environment proved detrimental to long builds […]
Sometime in 2015 I picked up a 3D printer at MicroCenter of the open box variety. The few hundred in savings out of the gate seemed a good bargain at the time but it also meant the second extruder was malfunctioning out of the box, and a few parts were missing. Not unlike most second […]
Measure twice cut once, in this case I believe we measured 5 times, and cut 6; in the end things came together nicely. The customer needed a fit tube to reinforce a seat post which was also removable. A aluminum tube and 3D printed urethane/nylon ID expanding collet were fitted to the end.